In the day to day running of our out of school club, we will be handling “Personal Information” relating to Parents, Carers, Children, Staff, Volunteers etc… and we have a legal duty to keep that information secure. This applies to whether we store the information digitally or on paper.
The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) come into force on 25th May 2018 and these regulations place new obligations on organisations that process personal information. Detailed guidance is available on the Information Commissioners website: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr
If you already use Little Cherubs Kids Club then it’s likely that most of the information we hold will be stored on paper.
Whilst Little Cherubs Kids Club systems are secure, there are some things we need to check to minimise the risk of data breach or loss of paper or digital data from our premises or via our session leaders. For example:
- Keep personal data in locked cabinets with limited access (maybe record who accessed it and when).
- Have strong passwords on all; phones, laptops, tablets, terminals and servers used to access personal data.
- Encourage Staff, Session leaders and Parents/Carers to password lock their; phone, tablet and laptop as well as having a strong password to access Little Cherubs Kids Club (and our own systems if they contain personal information).
- Set terminals, laptops etc… to close screens and require fresh login if unattended for a specified period of time.
- Do not position screens where they can easily be overlooked
- Consider access control to our premises and/or the room(s) where these systems are used.
- Reduce the data we collect and hold to the minimum needed to provide our services whilst complying with Ofsted rules.
- Ensure that our staff and volunteers only have access to the information they need to do their job.
Our Organisation will be the point of contact for individuals using our services should they wish to: obtain a copy, amend or delete personal information relating to themselves or their children.
Little Cherubs Kids Club provides the platform for our digital interaction with our customers, we do not anticipate being directly approached by our customers for these actions but the Little Cherubs Kids Club system will provide you with the tools to discharge these duties securely online.